Friday, March 15, 2013

Kids Maker Movement

©2012 TEDx
I just stumbled across this archive of the TEDx Kids @ Brussels, which took place back in June 2011, and is entirely focused on the theme of "Maker Kids"!! I vaguely remember someone mentioning this to me before, but it's the first chance I've had to really go through it and explore its contents. Lots of great resource material here for my project and courses. I'd heard of some of these initiatives and organizations before, of course (e.g. Tinkering School), but it's always interesting to see how they get boiled down (i.e. idealized) and TED-ified for these events. Also, very happy to have been introduced to a number of groups/project I hadn't heard of yet, including Sugar Labs and Layr.

Of particular interest is the fact that the event then spawned a kids-only follow up event in 2012 (FrakenKids), which was "ONLY for kids, no parents program, no speakers, no auditorium - just kids doing cool stuff."Very awesome concept - I wonder how it turned out!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Gamine Expedition by Sara Grimes is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.