Sunday, January 13, 2008

Announcements!!!

I have a bunch of half-finished blog posts that I've been sitting on all week, and unfortunately it now looks like I won't have time to post them until later on THIS week, as I am right in the midst of packing up for a semester in London!!! For the next couple of months I will be stationed at the Media@LSE...the Department of Media and Communication at the London School of Economics and Political Science. If you're in the area, drop me a line - I'm always keen to meet other kids' media researchers and professionals, and will be trying to set up meetings with like-minded people while I'm there.

I also have couple of other announcements to make that I'm very excited about. The first is that I have been officially enlisted as a correspondent for Amy Jussel's awesome blog and organization Shaping Youth, both of which are dedicated to providing a critical (and comprehensive) look at media & marketing to kids. You can read my first contribution to the site here, which is a reprint of the article I wrote for Children's Media Consultant. Look for more to come in the next couple of weeks. And thanks to Amy for the opportunity to contribute to the valuable work she is doing for kids and parents.

The second is that I've been invited to speak at the 6th Annual CCFC Summit, Consuming Kids: The Sexualization of Children and Other Commercial Calamities, which will take place on April 3-5, in Boston, MA. I'll be talking about my ongoing work on marketing and media convergence in kids' MMOGs, focusing in on issues of commercialization, freedom of speech, authorship and play. The Summit is geared towards combining the knowledge and efforts of various groups trying to combat the commercialization of kids' culture, bringing together academics, media producers, educators, activists and parents. This is praxis at its finest, and I'm really looking forward to both participating and attending the numerous presentations and talks that the CCFC has planned. Confirmed speakers include Morgan Spurlock (of Supersize Me fame), Nancy Carlsson-Paige, Jean Kilbourne, Susan Gregory-Thomas, Alvin Poussaint, Juliet Schor, the CCFC's own Josh Golin and Susan Linn, among many others. Registration and information for the event can be found here.

It's stacking up to be a busy spring, but an exciting one as well. I'll be sure to post those half-finished news items once I'm settled in.

2 comments:

Izzy Neis said...

CONGRATS, SARA!!!

Oh, man, I love London. I am so jealous.

It'll be fun to see what interesting facts & data you find across the pond.

Kudos to you!

Sara M. Grimes said...

Thanks so much Izzy!!!